How to protect your images
- Published on Tuesday, 22 January 2013 09:05
So, why this article?
While it is impossible to protect images that are publicly presented on a site there are many people who restrict the displaying of images to certain users or user groups by using Joomla!'s access levels. These parts of the site and the gallery will only be available for those users then, however if an unauthorised user knows or guesses the actual image paths and names (those ending with e.g. .jpg) he will be able to see the image anyway (that's because access checks can only be done within the PHP script and not for delivery of media files).
In JoomGallery, it is very easy to solve this problem:
JoomGallery 2.1.2 Bugfixrelease
- Published on Sunday, 13 January 2013 16:56
Thanks to your help by posting appropriate bug reports in our support forum we are able to provide another bugfix release for the JoomGallery 2.1 today.
The following bugs were fixed:
- Access rights in links to certain gallery views have not been checked in frontend user panel and frontend user categories view.
- Searching images in "MiniJoom" was not possible if SEO was enabled with the option"Adds Suffix to URL".
- Ordering box did not change when selecting another parent category if Ajax category selection was enabled.
- Fixed failing Ajax request at category selection if SEO is enabled.
- Image distortion caused by incrementing image dimensions in the nametag container of the detail view (detail image) has been removed.
- In category view, the list bullet for the image title was displayed in some cases even if the output of the image title was disabled.
- Batch editing images was not possible because of wrong form validation error.
- With some specific configuration settings an empty string was added to the document head which caused problems when using Joomla! caching.
The following changes resp. improvements were done:
- Form field 'Category' renamed to 'JoomCategory' to avoid conflicts resp. incompatibilities with Joomla!.
- Improved performance with very many users in configuration and image manager.
You can update your gallery with the Autoupdate function in the JoomGllery backend. Alternatively you can also load the Zip from the download section and install it via the extension manager of Joomla!.
Feature Requests on Uservoice
- Published on Friday, 26 October 2012 15:20
Since a few years already we use Uservoice where you can add feature requests and vote for them:
We would like to mention again that we want to manage feature requests only on that platform because in our forum they disappear very fast. Besides that, it is possible to identify easily on Uservoice which features are required more than others. This way we can concentrate on important features first.
So, please don't post your feature requests in our forum anymore, but use solely Uservoice for that.
Additionally we would like to define some rules here which should simplify understanding of the features for you and us:
- Feature requests must have a clear and understandable title.
- Please use the big field for an extensive description of your feature request with which people can understand the use cases.
- Create one entry for each request and don't put more than one in a single entry.
- Please use the integrated search before posting a new feature and don't create duplicates (for that you may have to use different keywords for your search).
- Entries must be written in English language (or German).
- Uservoice is used only for feature requests. Please use our forum for bugs and support questions.
- Of course no spam or something like that is allowed.
If one entry breaks one or more of these rules it will be removed. We hope to preserve clearness this way.
We are anxious to implement the features with the highest number of votes, but we reserve to postpone entries if they are difficult to realize with the current software architecture of the gallery. However, as long as a feature request is not declined or removed you can be sure that it is still considered for inclusion. We are just waiting for an opportunity (e.g. if other things have to be realized afore as preparations).
New features are basically only included into the JoomGallery version with the highest currently existing Main Release Number (cf. our Versioning). Simultaneously, we are supporting a JoomGallery version with smaller Main Release Number, but this one gets just bug fixes once a version with higher main release number was published.